Apr 2, 2009

Your Time Is MY Time

I have an obsession with coupons! It is a mindless hobby that has cut my grocery bill from $1,200 a month to about $400 a month! With 6 boys, 5 living at home, it became a necessity to use coupons this summer. I like cutting, organizing, and hunting coupons! I place them in organized baseball card holder sleeves that are held in a 3", three ring binder. The binder is bulging!

Saturday, I thought I would sit at the park and place my coupons in the binder while the boys played. I really study the coupons and the details of each one. No sooner than I had started, I clearly heard the Lord telling me to, "Be quite!" Not that I was making any out loud noise, but while organizing my coupons I am thinking about the store sale ads for the week, and how much each coupon is worth at Kroger when it is doubled or tripled. I'm thinking about the price of different items, when the product was on sale last, and if I think it will be on sale again before the coupon expiration date.

"Oh, I'll just finish the toothpaste products before putting the book away," I thought to myself.

"Be quite. Quiet your mind, Katherine," God said. I gently laid my hands down and closed my eyes.

"Be quiet. Stop thinking. Stop the meaningless, clutter talk in your mind and rest," God said. So, I did. I closed the book and walked towards my car to put the book away.

The weather was just perfect. The sky was beautiful with the sun setting. The wind faintly blowing. As I walked towards the car in silence, God spoke to me again. He said, "Your time is MY time."

"Oh, wow, you're right, God." I committed to following His calling on my life as a writer, and how quick and easy it is to fill my mind with clutter. If my mind is not clear to listen to Him, and if it is not rested, I can't do what He has asked me to do. Write.

Yesterdays message, "Take Five," was really the predecessor to today's word from my God. "Take Five, but remember, this time that you're calling your own, is really MY time." I don't take it as a selfish demand of God. It's an understanding that I have from Him. I asked Him to let me write for Him. He said that it was in His plan all along. I realize that I have no ability to write outside of Him providing the way for me. It isn't my talent. I'm just willing.

So many times I see my relationship between me and my children reflected in my relationship with me and my God. I ask them to do something, and they say, "Hang on. One more minute."
I was telling God the same thing when I just wanted to place one more item in the coupon book.
When He asks me to do something, I should give him the same respect that I expect from my children, an immediate reaction. Every minute is His minute!

2 comments:

  1. Love seeing you walk out your calling, sister!

    It is an understanding we have...my time is His time.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing continues to be awesome. You are indeed called to write about Him as I have told you many times. The words just flow from you. You are the child of my heart just as Chase is yours. You walked in my life with that blonde hair, great smile and missing both front teeth and walked right into my heart. That has never changed. Your Dad and I are very proud of you.

    We will be praying for Taylor's brother and will have our prayer warriors get on the job too.

    Love as always.

    ReplyDelete