Jul 22, 2009

La música de mi Dios

She doesn't speak English. I don't speak Spanish. There isn't much to say when we see each other day to day. Hello, Hola! How are you? Co'mo esta's? Okay. Bien. That's about all we understand of one another.

On occasion we've talked through an online translator. I found out that my cleaning lady is from Honduras. She has a degree in business, and worked as at a geoscience facility in her country. One week of pay in America is equivalent to one month pay in Honduras. She wants to pay off her house, and then go home with her family.

She sports her little Ipod while cleaning the offices. I plug mine in while answering mail in the early mornings, and sometimes in the afternoon while catching up on paperwork. Once in a while, my speakers are on and she can hear the music. I don't understand her songs, and she doesn't understand mine.

Yesterday, she walked in my office to do her usual routine, and the song, "I Surrender All," by Michael W. Smith and Coalo Zamorano was playing on my speaker. She cried out, "My God, my God, musica MY God! Santificados, Jesus Cristo! Santificados! I love my God!"

There was one thing we clearly understood about one another without translation. We love our God. I clearly understood that we are sanctified by Jesus Christ. No one needed to help us out. I had never seen her so excited about anything, but clearly we connected.

It was so exciting to find a new sister. Where will our new friendship take us? She has been brought to America to escape poverty. May be one day I can go to Honduras too. I don't know what I would do there, but I want to help her people. May be they need Bibles. May be they need musica 'en espanol like Michael W. Smith and Coalo Zamorano, and willing teachers. One thing is very clear, no matter where in the world you call home, God's spirit can take up residency anywhere, in anyone of us.

1 comment:

  1. What a precious connection you share! I am praying for you, sister!!!

    ReplyDelete