Feb 13, 2009

The Battle Plan

I often compare the battles that were fought in the Bible to my daily battles, battles at work, battles at home, and life in general. This morning, I was studying 2 Chronicles 20:20-30. It is part of a study from Beth Moore, and my Jr. high/high school youth leader Julie Jordan-Woodruff, called "Living Free." These are my thoughts as I read the versus and compared them to today's life.

What if we took Jehoshaphat's steps to winning a battle into our own world, and even the corporate world? King Jehoshaphat had a battle strategy that started with praise and worship to our Lord. Early in the morning he rose. He met with his people, encouraged them and told them to have faith in their Lord their God. Jehoshaphat told them that if they did have faith in the Lord that he would uphold them.

During his consultation with his people he appointed some to praise and sing to the Lord. These people went before the army, leading them to the battle. Can you imagine being on the praise and worship team, walking into a battle with nothing in your hand but a trumpet and a song!

As they began to sing and praise, before they arrived at the battle scene, the battle was over. The groups that formed against the people of Jerusalem annihilated each other in confusion. The Bible says that the Lord set up ambushes and they destroyed one another.

How many trials have I faced with more worry in my heart than praise in my voice? How many times have I faced turmoil with my heart full of anger, resentment, or self sorrow? Time, after time, I think my battle has been more of a plea with the Lord instead of claiming the victory before the battle was started.

The men of Judah came to the place that overlooked the desert, and they looked toward the vast army, but they saw nothing but dead bodies lying on the ground. No one had escaped. Then the men of Judah collected the plunder, clothing, equipment, and articles of clothing. It took them three days to carry off the goods.

They gathered the goods, and then praised the Lord some more! When they returned home, "joyfully," they praised the Lord in his temple with music.

Let's see, they sang and praised the Lord, came across the battle already fought, walked away with goods, without loss of life. Then they went home and praised the Lord in his temple, and lived in peace! Now that's the way to win a battle!

I love the last part of the story. The Bible says, "Fear came to their enemies, and the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for the Lord had given them rest on every side."

Sometimes a little discipline of a few people sets the tone for others that might have been on the edge of raging war. I think that people will often choose keeping the peace rather than raging war when they see others victorious.

My message and battle plan is this:
  1. Rise early in the morning
  2. Encourage one another
  3. Have faith in the Lord
  4. Consult one another in your life and determine to praise and sing to the Lord
  5. Put your praise before your sword, believing in the Lord
  6. Reap the rewards
  7. Praise some more
  8. Enjoy the peace and rest that the Lord gives

No comments:

Post a Comment