Feb 19, 2009

The Measure of God's Love

Someone recently told me that I was not blessed by God. I was asked, "Just look at your house, and look at mine. My house is so much nicer than yours. Who is God blessing? Me, not you."

This person went on to say how great their children were in comparison to the struggles that I have with mine, with schooling and the autism issues of Trent. My children were not blessed, but theirs were. Believe it or not, that comment came from a grown person that claims to be a Christian!

I'm way past the days of wondering if God loved me when I didn't get my way with my Heavenly Father! Had that comment been made years ago, I might have been sad and considered the thought that God didn't find me worthy of blessing; however, I know My God well enough to know that His love isn't measured by earthly gifts.

I've found the blessing in the gentle childlike spirit of my child that may never grow old in his heart and mind. I've learned that in every struggle has a silver lining, and that silver lining is my Lord shining through the darkness in this fallen world.

The Bible study that I am in asked this question the same night that the above for mentioned comments were made to me. The question was, "How is intimacy with God different from the goal of being good enough to be acceptable to God?

My answer is this: We can't trust those that don't accept us. If we trust that God loves us even in our sinful nature, then we break down the wall to allow communication. When we are free to communicate with God, we trust in Him, and form intimate bonds with our Lord.

Our relationship with God is not about God showing us how much He loves us by answering our prayers and desires, even when our prayers are for truly honorable things. Even when our requests are for things like healing of our children, or our bodies, or relationships being restored, go unanswered, God loves us.

God has shown me that my relationship with Him is about trusting and loving Him no matter what the answer, no matter how I think things should turn out. It is about believing in God's will, even when I think I know how things should be.

God's love can't be measured by His answers, or lack of answers! His love can not be measured by financial blessings or physical well being. His love is measured by the cross, one stretched arm to the other; and, by how much of that love WE choose to accept. By how close to the cross we choose to step, and whether or not we step close enough to let Christ's cleansing act, the blood of the Lamb, drip into our lives and wash our sins white as snow.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes He says no so we can experience his yes. There is blessing and protection in the way He has for you. Allowing our brokenness to be seen by a world that says only perfect is acceptable is letting God use us. God's blessings look so different than ours...You have your eyes on the right One.

    ReplyDelete